Friday, March 16, 2018

I Love The Current Jazz Squad

I first started watching the Jazz in the early 80's. I loved how Adrian Dantley played so big for his size at only 6'5" and he could post up on anyone and always get to the free throw line. I loved Darrell Griffith and his exciting dunks and high arching three pointers, as well as Ricky Green's hustle and assists. Frank Layden was just as entertaining as any of the players.

Over the next several years Mark Eaton, Thurl Bailey, John Stockton, and Karl Malone joined the squad and were the core of what I remember about Jazz basketball. In the early 90's Jerry Sloan took over as head coach and I loved his no-nonsense style. By the mid 90's Jeff Hornacek and Byron Russell joined the team as the Jazz faced the Bulls for 2 NBA finals.

In the early 2,000's Andrei Kirilenko and Matt Harpring joined the team but this was also a sad time as Stockton and Malone retired and that left a huge hole. Shortly after Carlos Boozer and Darin Williams were the star players but things were not quite the same. I later enjoyed what Memhet Okur,  Paul Millsap, and Kyle Korver brought to the team.

In 2010 Gordon Hayward came along and I loved his hustle and style but I was upset with how things were going and with the pressure that led up to Jerry Sloan leaving. I have to admit that by the 2011-2012 season I didn't care to follow the Jazz like I used to.

What changed this for me was when Quin Snyder was made the new head coach. I like his style and this was around the time they acquired Rudy Gobert. Some might call me a fair weather fan, but I am finally in love with the Jazz again. I've always appreciated Ricky Rubio's skills but I really think his game has flourished in Utah, Joe Ingles has proven to be an amazing sharp shooter from behind the arc and I like his personality. Derick Favors has great hustle, and Gobert is amazing when he can stay healthy. My favorite surprise has been the rookie Donovan Mitchell. It's hard to make comparisons to prior players for his unique style of play. He is so fun to watch and I am finally happy to be a Jazz fan again and watch this entertaining squad. I hope they can keep playing like they have over the last month and solidify a good playoff spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment