Wednesday, February 21, 2018

All Star Weekend

I recently enjoyed the highlights from NBA Allstar Weekend and was glad to see Donovan Mitchell win the dunk contest this year but I still have a couple problems with the event.

1) The Judges- Back in the mid 80's I remember being baffled and couldn't figure out why Joe Piscapo and Martina Navratilova were judges for the contest. They took it a step further this year with DJ Khaled, Chris Rock, and Mark Whalberg. Seriously? A couple years ago they got it right when they had all past dunk champions judging the event. Despite the unqualified judges this year, I took comfort in the fact that they were probably cheating off of Dr. J. after each dunk. Even so, there were way too many 50's given out. A perfect score of 10 needs to be reserved for spectacular dunks that blow your mind, not just every good dunk.

I saw this online and thought it was a good recap of the event.

2) The size of the field- This bothered me even more than the judges. I felt all of the participants were great dunkers but why only start with 4? They don't do that with the skills challenge or 3 point contest. There should be 6 to 8 good dunkers participating in the event at the beginning and then eliminate a couple each round like in the olden days. It's like playing 3 on 3 half court for the All Star Game.

I'm sorry if I'm a broken record each year complaining about the dunk contest but this is the NBA and they should be able to figure out what makes an amazing event for the fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment