Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Jock Strap

I remember when I graduated from grade school and moved to the big leagues of Jr. high. I was introduced to some awkward things like public showers and having to wear a jock strap during P.E. class. Since I played sports, I quickly became accustomed to athletic supporters and over time, wearing one meant that you were serious about your sport and were ready to play. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I finally phased them out of my life.

Several years ago I wore an old supporter during a 5K race and by the time I got home, the serrated leg straps had carved some nasty lines into the back of my legs. I'm not sure what material it was made out of, but the straps may have just as well been made of bicycle chains. When I went shopping for a new one, I noticed they were harder to find and I only saw them being sold with cups for sports like martial arts and baseball.

I'm usually 10 years behind the times, so I finally realized that jock straps are "old school" have been replaced by spandex undershorts. I love them. They are comfortable and don't ever lose their elasticity and don't cause chafing. (and as an added bonus they don't put your cheeks on display for everyone in the locker room.)

An athletic supporter is to today's athlete what a rotary phone is to today's 911 dispatcher. I am glad that jock straps have joined the obsolete crowd of carburetors, vinyl records, and VHS tapes. Long live spandex undershorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment