Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Basketball Accessories

I don't want to sound too critical about basketball apparel and accessories, but this is an opinionated guy's blog so you'll just have to deal with my judgemental generalities. Let's get started.

Protective Face Gear- Richard Hamilton has been wearing the NBA's version of a welding mask for years. I can't fault anyone who has broken facial bones or a nose from not wanting that to happen again. What I'd really like to see would be Blake Griffin wearing a hockey mask like Jason. I think that's the only thing that could make his dunks any more intimidating.


Goggles-I think the only players who are tempted to wear goggles are those who have had prior eye injuries. I don't think anyone is going to be wearing protective eye wear as a fashion statement. However, I have to admit that Amare's specs are much more stylish than the old school goggles that Kareem wore. Now it's time to move onto the unnecessary stuff.


Wristbands-These have not been popular for a while. They are more of a fashion statement of the 70's and 80's. When I was a teenager, I bought an Air Jordan wrist band, but I always felt kind of silly when I wore it because I knew it was really just a decoration.


Sleeves- Shooting sleeves are the evolutionary products of wrist bands. Allen Iverson, Carmello Anthony, and Dwight Howard are big fans of them. I know some people claim they have a therapeutic affect by keeping the arm and elbow warm, but I can guarantee 99% of the people who use them do it for a fashion statement (or to hide inappropriate tattoos)

Headbands- Sorry, but I think headbands are just plain stupid. Cliff Robinson and Rasheed Wallace have been wearing them for a while and Wilt Chamberlain wore one that looked more like the blind folds you wear when you take naps. Even though many talented players like Lebron, Rondo, Vince Carter, and others wear them, I still can't go for it. You are putting a band around your head. Why? Do you really get blinded by sweat pouring into your eyes which keeps you from being able to play? I don't think so.

If you are a guy at the gym who is decked out in all kinds of unnecessary gear, then you probably have a case of what the Texans refer to as "big hat, no cattle." It means you are probably trying to over compensate for lack of talent or skill with fancy shoes or expensive gear. Take it easy on the accessories and leave the fashion statements to Craig Sager.

PS- If you are an active NBA player and you disagree with this post, I'd be glad to discuss the topic in person. When you are in town to play the Jazz, just drop off a couple comp tickets and I'd be glad to come back after the game and hang out with your team to discuss it.

5 comments:

  1. I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information. I'll definitely add this great post in my article section.
    Sports Products Auctions

    ReplyDelete
  2. good.. accessories of different NBA players.
    Their trademark neither.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good.. accessories of different NBA players.
    Their trademark neither.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice blog. Making some fashion statements is not bad, I feel. In fact, they inspire fans to follow the same fashion trend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In every sport, we have found different types of accessories those are essential and important for the game. Here also, we recognize certain basketball accessories those are very much essential for every basketball player. Thanks for suggesting some essential basketball accessories.
    Basketball Accessories

    ReplyDelete